Have you ever had to throw away your drink because it had gotten too watered down and was no longer enjoyable? I have, what a waste!
Have you ever had guest just “pop in” only to realize that you have no cold drinks to offer them and you forgot to fill the ice cube tray? I have, very embarrassing!
Have you ever put a dirty ice cube in your drink? I have, totally disgusting!
What If There Was An Easy Solution To This, So That None Of These Things Ever Happen Again, No Gimmick!
When it comes to drinking trends that can weather the storm, whiskey stones have miraculously floated to the top. They’ve been on shelves for almost a decade now, and though they once occupied only a small space in the whiskey tasting toolbox, they’ve now moved front and center, standing tall alongside crystal rocks glasses and angostura bitters. Lovers of rye and single malts can be picky about the way their drink is poured, and new innovations have created exciting ways for true aficionados to drink. What are whiskey stones? A deceptively simple bar tool that perfectly blends form, function, and a whiskey drinker’s affinity for timelessness.
What are Whiskey Stones?
Whiskey stones are small cubes of clean, cut natural stone used to chill whiskey and other spirits. These stones, available in a variety of sizes, are designed to be stored in the freezer, and added to straight shots of whiskey, bourbon, or scotch, in order to chill them without the risk of diluting the drink. While it’s true that different drinkers have varying preferences, including some who prefer to have a little water added to their drink, whiskey rocks create the possibility to quickly lower the temperature, while preserving unadulterated straight-from-the-bottle taste. Since good whiskey is aged over many years, a nice bottle isn’t always cheap. Maintaining the distilleries desired balance for flavors is important, and too much water can lead to a watered down taste. Whiskey stones eliminate any and all danger of too much moisture, and still give you a tasty, chilled beverage.
Redefining “On the Rocks”
Whisky stones appeared in the first decade of the new century, around 2007. They were originally made exclusively from soapstone, a naturally occurring metamorphic rock. Soapstone is the perfect type of rock to make a whiskey stone, due to its soft composition. Once the stones have been cut and tumbled to remove sharp edges, a whiskey stone can be placed in a glass without the worry of scratches or breakage. Soapstone is extremely dense. This density gives it thermal mass. Thermal mass is an object’s ability to absorb heat. It is soapstone’s impressive thermal mass that allows whiskey stones to absorb the heat from a pour of fine liquor at room temperature. Throughout history, soapstone has been used to create many types of kitchen ware, from mixing bowls, to fireplace surrounds, to sculpted works of art, so it’s a natural fit inside an Old Fashioned glass of whiskey. Some soapstone whiskey stones feature a semi-polished finish, retaining the muted look of natural rock. Others are highly polished, with a shiny, slick black surface. Both types of finishing work equally well, so it comes down to the individual drinkers preference in looks.
Over the last decade or so that whiskey stones have been around, new ideas have been introduced that offer high levels of style and usefulness. Each drinker now has the option of using a few small whiskey rocks, or one large whiskey stone to add to their glass. Large, round whisky stones are available, paying tribute to the sister 21st century trend, round ice cubes. Stainless steel whiskey stones are also being made, which offer the handsome look of brushed silver. Many scotch drinkers prefer the stainless steel cubes because of the brightness it brings to their tumbler. Not to be left out, wine drinkers can get in on the action by using stones to keep their white and rosé wines chilled. Today, drink lovers use whiskey stones in a variety of cocktails, since they offer the luxury of zero dilution. When a craft cocktail is made, with just the right mixture of spirits and garnish, the frozen stones maintain a balance of flavor from beginning to end.
How to Use Whiskey Stones
Using this innovative drink accessory is very simple. Simply place in the freezer for 4 or more hours. When you are ready to drink, place your desired number of whiskey stones into your glass (or glasses, as the case may be). Reach for your favorite bottle of bourbon, scotch, or blended whiskey, and pour as usual. Wait a minute or two for the temperature of your drink to go down, and poof! You’re ready to sip. The best whiskey stones will last a lifetime, so it’s worth the investment.
Why you may consider buying Great White Ice Stainless Steel Whiskey Rocks?
Before getting into the situations best suited for whiskey stones, we should start by stating that whiskey stones are not for everyone, nor for every situation. A significant portion of the negative reviews surrounding whiskey stones can be traced back to the fact that the stones were not used for their intended purpose. First of all it is important to understand what their purpose is. Whiskey stones or whiskey rocks, were originally created for whisky drinkers to keep whisky drinks chilled. Although they do not get as cold as regular ice cubes, their purpose is to keep your whisky cool without diluting it.
More specifically, whiskey stones are not designed to be a replacement for ice in a mixed drink (such as Jack and Coke), nor are they effective at making your drink ice cold. Instead, they are best used by those who want to chill their drink into the 40° to 60° range, which is considered to be the temperature range at which to drink whiskey by the master distillers we spoke to. Whiskey Stones are ideal for drinking with high quality whiskey because they keep it at the perfect sipping temperature (50 degrees), whereas ice cubes can make the whiskey too cold and ruin the flavor.
You should consider buying whiskey stones if you enjoy the nuanced flavors in whiskey and prefer the temperature to be cooler than room temperature — particularly if you live in an area where “room temperature” can mean 80° or higher. Instead of over-diluting your drink with ice, whiskey stones make it possible to chill whiskey without any dilution or, as is often preferable, with just a few drops of water to release the flavors of the whiskey.
Why should I use Whiskey Stones instead of ice?
A handful of ice will take a drink to just under 40°, and to deep freeze a drink quickly, there is nothing better. But some drinks you neither want to dilute nor deep freeze. Temperatures in 30° and high 30s are far too cold for good whiskey. Reason being that the wood oils in the whiskey, which have leached into the liquid from the carefully selected cask it was aged in and which carry all the flavor, tend to congeal and “close down” the flavor of the drink itself when the temperature goes below 50°. The stones are specifically designed to “take the edge off without diluting or closing down the flavor.”
Specifically, 3 whisky stones in a glass containing 2-3 oz. will take the liquid temp from mid-70s (room temperature) to the 50s. Not designed for use with a large volume of liquid.
Disadvantages of Using Whiskey Stones Made of Glass or plastic
- First of all, I would never put anything made of glass in my drink, because it can break! Whether in big pieces or in tiny shards that are not apparent, broken glass can cause serious bodily harm!
- Plastic is also a bad idea. There have been many studies conducted, that have proven, when subjected to extreme heat or cold plastic releases harmful gases and plastic also has an aftertaste. That is why, it is also not recommended to use it in the microwave.Why would anyone want plastic whisky stones floating in there drink anyway!
Advantages Of Using Great White Ice Stainless Steel Whiskey Rocks
- Ice is porous. This means that it can absorb the odors and flavors present in your freezer or ice maker. Those potentially less-than-ideal aromas will then ooze into your whiskey. Gross. Additionally, ice melts and will dilute your drink. Boo.
- Unlike ice, Whiskey Stones are non-porous and thus odorless and tasteless. So, adding Whiskey Stones to your favorite bourbon will chill the spirit without affecting its taste.
- Because soapstone retains its temperature longer than ice, Whiskey Stones provide for a more sustained chill.
- In addition to the obvious benefits of using Bourbon rocks in regards to the flavor and the texture of your beverage, Bourbon stones will give the feel and looks of your drink a punch. They provide an ‘eye candy’ touch that will start many conversations as others notice them. They are definitely an ‘ice breaker’ for any party with their unexpected visual appeal.
- Whiskey Stones are simple to use: put them in your freezer for four hours and then add three to your drink.
- Softer than granite, soapstone won’t inadvertently scratch your glass.
- The beauty of whiskey stones is that they’re multipurpose. Apart from Scotch, they can be used to rapidly chill wine, coffee, and smoothies.
- Natural soapstone of Whiskey Stones is completely safe and approved by the FDA. It won’t react with household solvents such as water, alcohol, detergent, or mild acids.
Currently there are a few different types stainless steel whiskey stones, but I have found that these offer the most benefits.
- Only have to be frozen from 1 – 2 hours before they are ready to use.
- Contain a non toxic powerful chilling gel in their centers allowing for extended chilling time.
- Are 1 inch in diameter making their cooling power stronger because of the bigger size.
- Great White Ice whiskey stones are made from a high grade stainless steel, which means you are able to put in the dishwasher and they will never spot. They are not just a plated version like the other cheaper stainless steel versions out there, that cannot offer the benefits that actual stainless steel has to offer.
- 100% Eco-friendly, Bpa free
- Rust proof, anti bacterial, corrosion resistant, durable.
- Do not retain tastes or smells from other items surrounding them.
- Can be used in any type of alcoholic or regular beverage and therefore can also be referred to as, wine stones, scotch rocks, ice rocks, drink stones.
- Can stay cold for hours if used in a thermos or a cooler. Use them in your cooler like ice packs to keep your food cold without water logging it.
- Can be used anywhere. Use them in the house, in the yard, at the beach or on the dock, to keep your drink cool in the sun.
- Best gift ever gets you compliments galore!
- BACKED BY A LIFETIME REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE, so you can try them risk free!
EVERYWHERE PEOPLE ARE RAVING ABOUT THESE AMAZING STAINLESS STEEL ICE CUBES
Truthfully speaking, Great White Ice stainless steel ice cubes are the most effective and appealing way to chill your drink currently available on today’s market.
Besides the benefits listed above, they keep your drink cold with minimal freezing time and are dishwasher safe, other stainless steel whisky stones from other brands are not dishwasher safe, are smaller and are only plated, they are not pure stainless steel and cannot offer these types of benefits.
These stainless steel whiskey rocks are also backed by a lifetime replacement warranty. No other whiskey stones on the market offers the amazing benefits that these do! Although, there are none that will ever be as cold as ice, these are the next best thing. I love them, my guests love them and they make the perfect unique gift for anyone!